My name is Arturo Castillo, I am a doctor from Mexico. I graduated from medical school in Zacatecas, Mexico, where I practiced for 11 years at the Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social and a private practice in Atolinga, Zacatecas from 1982 to 1993. My wife Olga, children Byanca and Erick, and I came to California for Karla to be born, the youngest. Where we are, he stayed to work and live.
We quickly learned that I couldn't pursue my career without having a US equivalent license. As a result, we started looking at possibilities to legalize my license here.
I've heard about COPHYLA. A wonderful corporation that has opened the doors for many doctors, nurses, psychologists, and dentists to quickly obtain licenses that will allow them to return to work in the medical field as physician assistants, EKG technicians, or phlebotomists.
In addition, COPHYLA also offers preparation courses to pass the MD exams in the United States. As well as opportunities to take college courses, translate degrees, and process degree equivalencies in order to apply to programs such as RN, PA, NP, etc.
It was difficult for many of us to balance work and studies in a foreign country. However, some of us never give up the idea of meeting those requirements and persevere until we achieve our goals. And out of that group, some of us managed to get licensed to become MDs, PAs, NPs, and RNs.
I was part of that group. In 2007, a two-year PA program was completed in the San Joaquin Valley. University in Visalia, CA. Since then, he has proudly worked as a personal assistant in California. My particular process was the following:
1. I came to California from Mexico.
2. With the help of COPHLYA, get certified as a Physician Assistant, EKG Technician, and Phlebotomist.
3. I translated my degree and was able to get a bachelor's degree equivalency here.
4. I attended Citrus and Fullerton universities to complete the prerequisite classes needed to apply to the PA programs. These courses include Sociology, Religion, Chicano Studies, US History, Psychology, Algebra, Spanish, and English 101.
5. I was also able to take an ultrasound technician course through COPHLYA which helped me. I am tremendously amazed when it applies to PA programs.
My family and I would not be where we are without the guidance and support of this program. Thanks to COPHYLA I have been able to continue practicing medicine as a Medical Assistant in my own private clinic under the supervision of my son, Erick, who followed in my footsteps and became a Doctor of Medicine here in the United States.
In closing, I would like to congratulate COPHYLA on its 32nd anniversary as it will support foreign professionals in the field of medicine. A special thanks and appreciation is due to Dr. Rolando Castillo, Director General of COPHYLA.